Since its inception in the 1940s, The Barnet Society has organised a variety of events to stimulate, educate, agitate and entertain its Members.
We hold a series of talks, walks, and visits throughout the year, as well as a regular question-and-answer session with the MP for Chipping Barnet and an AGM in May or June.
The Society is also prepared to help publicise events organised by local groups and organisations.
To suggest events for inclusion send details to firstname.lastname@example.org
- John of Gaunt
- 23 March 2019, 13:30 h - 15:30 h
- St John The Baptist - Barnet, Hertfordshire
John of Gaunt - Architect of the Wars of the Roses
John of Gaunt (1340 to 1399)
Duke of Lancaster
- Third of five surviving sons of King Edward III
- Brother of Edward ‘The Black Prince’
- Really the son of a Ghent butcher?
- Participated in the 100 Years War
- Styled himself as King of Castile
- Greatest landowner in the north of England
- Owner of more than 30 castles and estates across England and France
- His taxation policy led to the Peasants' Revolt of 1381
- Seen as the founder of the House of Lancaster
- Started the Beaufort Bloodline
- Friend of the poet Geoffrey Chaucer
- On his death, his son, now disinherited, was branded a traitor and exiled
- Buried in St Paul's Cathedral
- His grave and monument were destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666
Speaker : Mike Ingram (Historian, Author, lecturer and Tour Guide) Chair of the Northampton Battlefields Society
PRICE : £6 Non-Member £3 Members
Voluntary ‘money-in-hat’ donations towards Tea/Coffee and Cake/Biscuits are greatly appreciated
Saturday 23rd March 2019
1:30pm to 3:30pm
St John the Baptist Church Barnet
Junction of High Street and Wood Street
Annual Membership : Adult (single) £12
Children (16 and under) £8